Sunday, July 10, 2005

Familiar Highs

Mt Kinabalu National Park, Sabah, Malaysian Borneo

Unfortunately, there was be no time for a visit to the islands just off the coast. This is a hit and run visit... I have a bus to catch, and a mountain to climb.

I wake up at dawn in a tiny hotel room up in the mountains. Its cold, which is strange for Malaysia. From my little balcony I can see the mist rising from the jungle, clinging to the mountainsides. I have a quick breakfast of badly made toast and eggs and the hotel owner drives me up the road to the park office where I will start my climb.

The mountain is still shrouded in mist when I leave up the surprisingly well kept trail. Its only about an 8km walk, but in that time you ascend 2km vertically. Its pleasantly cool, the jungle and mist keeping the sun off the trail, occasionally parting to reveal a new and amazing view out over the jungle clad hills.

The hostel at Laban Rata is a welcome sight when it comes... the walk up has left me tired and a little damp. I have a quick dinner and head up to my room for an early night before the predawn assult on the summit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home